Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Party 'Til it's 1899!

Here is something that fascinates me a little, maybe someone out there can help me with this?

Not too long ago I started reading up on literature that has been classified as “steampunk;” the whole speculative “what if” type of fiction that somehow we could incorporate this day as plausible fact but walking around looking like a Rube Goldberg drawing. Now I am not totally against it, rather, I’m very curious on the whole society of it all. Not to mention that there’s a band out there who revels on the steampunk theme called Abbey Park, but whole groups of people who go out to steampunk gatherings and party down like it was 1899. Hell, I even constructed steampunk goggles myself, just to see if I could do it. Out of flip top welder’s goggles I tried to make it look like it was made of leather and copper, with a flashlight and laser pointer light on one side of it and able to pull out a jeweler’s magnifier on the other side. I also can play my gameboy out of it if I plug it into another outlet or even the car. There’s clockwork mechanisms all around the goggles but I feel I need one that’s a little larger and works longer to make it look like everything mechanical that works on it seems like it’s working off the clockwork parts. It’s amateurish in style and workmanship, but it’s also a work in progress. I love the fact I can wear these things over my glasses with little discomfort. I also have a black three piece suit and a black top hat so now all I am missing is where to go. And if I find a steampunk gathering, what do I do then; stand around and dance with myself?

I am a role-player, okay; I’ve been playing role-playing games since I was ten. Starting with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, then second addition, I graduated up to Werewolf: the Apocalypse and thought it was one of the coolest things. I also had my fair share of the Palladium megaverse, so I’ve been pretty heavy in role-playing. Somehow, I lost my way and started playing Magic: The Gathering a lot, but my finances got worse as the demand for buying cards to play grew, so that got put on the way side and I went back to role-playing with Vampire and live action role playing and I haven’t looked back since. Hence why, with this steampunk stuff, I would think there were some sort of role-playing thing going on since, basically, people are standing around acting like someone they aren’t in a time period that isn’t now. I haven’t played Deadlands, and I know it was developed into a LARP at one time, plus the Wild Wild West movie, albeit shitty, (Hey, they needed to use Salma Hayek’s bare ass to make it half way decent.) used a lot of steampunk things in the wild western setting. Then there is the current favorite, “Warehouse 13” that also falls back on steampunk “technology” so it isn’t like a group cannot stage something cool for “characters.”

But I love the concept, so if anyone around here could throw me a bone about this kind of idea, it would be much abliged.

On another topic, the search on the filmmakers didn’t go so well, but I have the rest of the night so it isn’t that bad. I’d say by my books and read my stuff but I’ll just sound like a broken record, so, I’m out like a light.
H.R. Green, 13th of October, 2009, 6:25 p.m. Burtchville, MI

No comments:

Post a Comment