Friday, October 16, 2009

Carpe Faba

Here’s something for the aging process; caffeine really doesn’t do it for me anymore. It’s supposed to keep people alert and energized but with me it seems I’m falling faster and faster asleep.

Now I always find out my limits but that doesn’t necessarily mean I follow them. If I really need a quick pick me up for energy, one energy drink is sufficient for 4 hours, after that I can do one of two things. I can go to sleep, like I’m supposed to, but when you are a truck driver you don’t normally have that option; or you have the next best thing, drink another energy drink. Yeah, that’s a really good idea for me; my legs get rubbery, I feel woozy and I get loopy. Not a good idea when you try to convey a professional image. But this shit is big business. There’s my favorite, Monster (Assault to be specific), then there’s Amp, made by Pepsi. I remember when Amp came in a can no bigger than Red Bull, then next brand on the list. (Tastes like liquid sweet tarts) Then there’s Nos, Rock Star, Venom, SoBe (Another favorite of mine. They should have never gotten rid of Mr. Green.), Full Throttle, Jolt is now an energy drink, locally Faygo made one, or at least distributed, Whoop Ass, which was awesome. Opening a can of whoop ass, especially during a LARP was always symbolic to me. Further down the list I go I also see those five hour energy shots and some Arizona Iced Tea cans. They’ve also have gone so far as to put caffeine into beer! What the fuck is up with this shit; beer? Have you people lost your minds? I do not want to be both buzzed drunk and alert, that is not a good fucking time for me. Then there are those java shots, so these energy drinks aren’t enough now they have to add coffee to the mix.

Lets move back a few steps.

Remember a simpler time when we had Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and Mountain Dew? (And I’m not talking the bullshit with the high fructose corn syrup; I’m talking the real shit with real sugar. Throwback should be a necessary item since they’ve toyed with my emotions.) That was pretty much it, along with coffee and tea. Then your local, store brand, and regional colas. (Yes, I forgot RC Cola, forgive me.) That was all there was to offer, you didn’t have all these other nutcase drinks.

I think if I would have acquired a taste for coffee that I would have never gone to these carbonated beverages, or “soft drinks,” as that term is such an oxy moron. If they were soft drinks why do they cause teeth rotting to those who drink it way too much? I call them “pop” so deal; you cook with “soda.” I would have enjoyed a more natural pick me up with coffee, I know this, but I never liked the taste, therefore I was doomed to drink cola and Faygo Red Pop. Drink Faygo Red Pop!

Seize the bean!

Now to switch topics really quick; to you hunters out there who could have read the earlier post, bow season started in Michigan on October 1st, however I started this blog on the eighth and just got inspired to write that prose last night. I’m an avid hunter who hasn’t been out there for a couple of years now and truly miss it. May all of you bag a buck this year.

H.R. Green, 16th of October, 2009, 1:48 p.m. Burtchville, MI

No comments:

Post a Comment