Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Long and Festering Legacy

I tend to be a sports nut, so much so that I actually make it a point not to watch the game, rather just see the end result so I can avoid a heart attack. This past decade has given me many things to cheer about but a lot more for me to cringe. (I'm from Michigan, take your pick on this one) Today, my hapless Lions pulled a victory out of their ass, with rookie Matt Stafford having a game for a Lions' quarterback that hasn't happened in quite sometime. Over four hundred yards passing and 5 touchdown passes. Granted he had 3 interceptions as well, but knowing the rest of the Lions players on the field and how much of a team they are not, Matt should be given a fucking medal. Still this isn't about Stafford, oh no, this blog item is more about their schmuck of an owner, William Clay Ford.


From what I'm guessing, this is Billy's 46th year of ownership with the Lions so I wish to share to you his legacy as an NFL owner for the past 45 years this team has been under his command. This doesn't count the current record the Lions hold, which is still abyssmal!


Regular seasons, 698 games played, a record of 286-398-14. That's a winning percentage of .409. My math may be a little off with the ties in that record, but still, not even close to getting him in that winning percentage. This is from a fucking 45 year period!


Playoff record, 10 games played, a record of 1-9 giving them a winning percentage of .100! I can bet I would have a better batting average than that at my age and dilapidated physical fitness state.


Worse than that, Billy boy has gone through 15 different head coaches. That's a new head coach every 2.8 years! The only reason why Bill Ford is there is because he's the owner and the only reason why he still makes money with this team is because he doesn't reward players well; he doesn't open that pocketbook properly. Yeah, throw tons of money to a rookie quarterback or one of the best running backs in the game but don't bother to build a respectable team around him. This old man will never learn and he will never leave as long as he can breathe. He has never known how to run an NFL team and he never will and what's really bad is the old fucktard really doesn't care. I wish Lions' fans could get the point so nobody would show up for games. See how long Ford lasts then.


Does it mean the Lions may leave? Yes, that's exactly what it means, but I'd rather have the Lions move to another city and be successful under an owner who wants to win football games and championships then to be forced to have one of the most pathetic franchises the NFL and sports world has ever known near my house. In my lifetime, I have witnessed the Tigers, Pistons, and Red Wings reach their goal of a championship. Even the short lived USFL and Arena Football gave me reasons to cheer (Michgian Panthers, Detroit Drive). In college, I also was given the rare treat for the Michigan Wolverines basketball and football teams to capture the NCAA Championship (The Cornholers didn't deserve the co-championship.). You'd think the Lions ownership would be feeling the heat and finally get around to building something worth cheering. Well I'm done with the wait and see attitude and I'm sick with their status quo mentality. It's time to fucking shit or get off the pot. If you don't want to do either, give the team to someone who not only wants to win, but knows how to win.


Do I detect a card from Illitch with his phone number on it? Red Wings and Tigers, that's all I have to say.


H.R. Green, 22nd of November, 2009, 8:07 pm Burtchville, MI

No comments:

Post a Comment