Sunday, November 8, 2009

Camping Around the Idiot Box

So a little while back I got enamored with a new television show called “Defying Gravity.” Unfortunately I knew this television show was doomed from the start. First, it was one I liked very much and second, it was an intelligent science fiction series. Well, it was as close to science fiction as the American networks would get. Only thirteen episodes of this show and it was suddenly scrapped, I knew I couldn’t count an both the networks and the viewing public to carry on with something that would actually make them think as well as entertain. ABC carried the majority of the episodes, just not all of them but thankfully I’m close to Canada, so I can see the last shows telecast from their networks. (I think it was CTV.) So what does ABC put into it’s place after the poor ratings? How about a rehashed sci-fi show from the eighties called “V?” And the idea was just as cheesy as it’s eighties counterpart; lizard people using synthetic skin to look more human who are about to destroy the human race. Yeah, it sounds like the same thing. I guess “SyFy” wins out again as more and more I get sick and tired of this bubblegum culture get stupefied by their little glass teat friend, a.k.a. “The Idiot Box” a.k.a. television. I know now why P.B.S. to me is getting cooler by the day.


Very little out there peaks my interest anymore. Granted there’s “House” and “Burn Notice” in the summer, and hopefully a “Warehouse 13” on the horizon, but beyond them we get stuck with franchised shows, as if we don’t have enough with one concept, we get force fed with multiples of the same shows, like “CSI” and “Law and Order,” now “NCIS” is beginning to be franchised. Granted some are good shows but they are too much of a good thing. What’s next? “Law and Order” the cartoon?


A while ago I watched the older scifi shows and realized from when I was a child up to now how one’s intellect may change. When I was eight I loved watching “Buck Rogers,” I thought that show was really cool and was pissed when they cancelled the show. I even had a little Twiki robot toy. When I watch it now I catch on more to the adult themes, mainly the difference in Buck’s knowledge of the twentieth century and his perpetual slang he constantly used that would confuse his friends. I didn’t get that part of the show when I was younger.


On the other hand, when I was younger I always fell asleep when Star Trek was on, and I really tried to follow it. I didn’t help that the local station at the time aired it on Sunday afternoon, right after church when I was fighting to stay awake during the sermons. After that torture was supposed to be naptime, usually. Now that I’m older and other Star Trek series came on I was able to get a better grasp on the original series, granted I’m not a trekker or trekkie, though my wife is, but I am now able to enjoy it a little more, however Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise was really pushing things, hence, the franchise comment above.


“Babylon 5”; great concept, was fun to watch, a beginning, middle, and end was a nice kick in the teeth to those “franchise” people. “Farscape” should have be given a better treatment than it was, but I guess the “Stargate” franchise was more important. Oh, by the way, “SGU” is ass. “Battlestar Galactica,” now there was something that was done right by “SyFy,” sort of; with their beginning, middle, and end, just way too fucking depressing. The earlier series and miniseries “1980” I never saw at first because bedtime was 9 pm for a long time. I missed a lot of decent TV because of that but I also missed a lot of shitty TV too. But, with the original series, I read the Book of Mormon, so I had an idea of the show’s concept. About the same with the new one, except this one had an ending and gave me a replacement word for my vernacular so I don’t swear in front of my children. That is always a good thing.


“Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles” ended too fast, and so did “Firefly,” however both are just sci-fi, still a little entertaining, and not just because Summer Glau was in both of them. These are just a few examples I’m giving you all, I’m sure others out there can voice out a few other television gems that should have earned a better shelf life.


But the idiot box will always churn out shit, because the viewing public wants shit, so it will give it shit. However, nowadays, the gourmet shit is “reality TV.” And that’s a whole other rant.


TTFN




H.R. Green, 7th of Novemeber, 2009, 11:30 p.m. Burtchville, MI

No comments:

Post a Comment