Sunday, June 1, 2014

Just Remember, It's All in Good Fun

So these past couple of days while I edit my first chapter of my new book and slugging through the internet (I don't surf.  I tend to fight through instead.) I came across this nice little documentary in hulu.com.


I'm a child of the eighties so I tend to regress back to that preteen and teenager of that time to stuff I liked a lot.  Usually that became cartoons.  Now I wasn't much of a comic book geek, though lord knows I tried.  For that stuff, in the end, it turned out to be The Sandman and Heavy Metal magazine (Yes I was able to buy them before I turned 18, go me.) and I had those collectable cards with the Marvel and D.C. characters to keep track of past history; kind of a colorful yet expensive version of Cliff notes.  But I ate up the cartoons.  And the older I got going into the nineties the older the subject matter the cartoons seemed to get.  Actually I think it got that way the more jaded my mind would become.  Tiny toons and Animanics became the pinnacle of this double entendre thinking before I gave up and conformed into the workforce.


In the middle of that there were these messed up colored pencil drawn short film cartoons called "Plymptoons."  I remember them physically wrong but too funny to ignore.  My parents tend to be in the living room the same time these shorts came on, mainly because we saw the ones being played on "TV's Bloopers and Practical Jokes" but I remember the SNL ones too, and they dismissed them as nothing, mainly because they were cartoons.  I loved the "Argument" segments.  Every one of these films you just cannot help but laugh at them.  I also saw all the MTV ones, especially Liquid Television.


Now, 360 here, this documentary about the "Plymptoons" creator Bill Plympton and how the toons came to fruition, so to speak.  I give props to the lady who headed this documentary, she got Terry Gilliam to help do an intro for the movie and many other famous faces.  However, and I don't spoil it too much, but, The Hedgehog!  Oh, no no no. 


Just goes to show you cannot please everyone, not even me.  But, Ron Jeremy aside, I would definitely suggest this on your documentary's list of must view or even if you're a fan of cartoons/animation please view it.


http://www.hulu.com/watch/411924


Alexia Anastasio, @alexiaanastasio, directed and produced it.  Also, here's her website http://www.alexiaanastasio.com/ to check out what else in film she has done or is doing now.


A good retreat from the regular B.S. of real life you aren't really supposed to deal with on the weekends.


ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment